You need back flexibility for many exercises. Examples are the Bench Press & the Pendlay Row which involve arching of the back. Lack of back flexibility will make it difficult to use a correct technique. Back Extension-Flexions are an easy way to improve your back flexibility. Here’s how to perform them.
Back Extension-Flexion Setup
- Get on all fours
- Arms straight, elbows locked
- Hands & knees shoulder-width apart
- Hands directly under the shoulders
- Knees directly under the hips
- Feet relaxed
Back Flexion. Bend your back:
- Curl your head under
- Squeeze your glutes
- Round your back
- Bring your head & pelvis together
Back Extension. Smoothly transition to arching your back:
- Look up
- Chest forward
- Shoulders back
- Sway your back down
- Press the back down using the hips & shoulders
Back Extension-Flexion Video. Here’s a video of the exercise.
Don’t force extension & flexion. Transit smoothly from one position to the other. Perform 3 sets of 10 reps 3x/week. Your back flexibility will quickly improve.