"This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.”
I often get questions about which supplements I think are best to build muscle, lose fat and get stronger. Examples:
However I do use supplements. For the simple reason that some make your life easier. So I decided to make an article about which supplements you really need for strength training & why. Here it is.
Whey. Although whey is a very common supplement, some people don’t know what whey is good for. Here are three benefits of whey:
Fish Oil. Omega 3 fats have been a hot supplements for several years now. Tons of food come with the label “contains omega 3″. Benefits of omega 3 consumption include:
Fish oil is easy. Caps or liquid form. I prefer liquid form with lemon flavor to avoid the fishy after-taste. Watch the EPA/DHA content. Some brands have low amounts of EPA/DHA. I use Pfo Pure Fish Oil. 1 tsp. contains:
Multivitamins. Eat a healthy varied diet to get your vitamins. Veggies and/or fruits with every meal. Meats, fish & eggs. Some benefits of multivitamins:
Some say high dosis of multivitamins & anti-oxidants cause cancer. Read these articles & draw your conclusions.
Creatine. I never used creatine. But many of you have or will in the future. Some say creatine doesn’t work. Other say it does. Mark Rippetoe writes in Practical Programming creatine works. I believe it works too. Benefits:
More Supplements? You can take the supplements you want, you’ll never get anywhere if you don’t train hard & eat right in the first place. Supplements are supplements to your training, nutrition & most of all attitude.
Experiment with supplements if you want to. But don’t forget the placebo effect.
![]() |
| vitamins and supplements |
- “Would you write something about CLA?”
- “What do you think of Maximuscle Cyclone?”
- “Can you make an article about Creatine?”
However I do use supplements. For the simple reason that some make your life easier. So I decided to make an article about which supplements you really need for strength training & why. Here it is.
Whey. Although whey is a very common supplement, some people don’t know what whey is good for. Here are three benefits of whey:
- Builds Muscle. You need at least 1g/lbs protein to build muscle. One scoop whey is about 25g of protein. If you struggle to get your 1g/lbs daily protein, 1 or 2 scoops daily will help.
- Easy. One scoop in your shaker, mix it with milk or water, drink. Nothing easier when you’re short on time.
- Cheap Protein. 75$ for a 10lbs tub that will last 5 months if you take one scoop daily. Whey is the cheapest protein.
Fish Oil. Omega 3 fats have been a hot supplements for several years now. Tons of food come with the label “contains omega 3″. Benefits of omega 3 consumption include:
- Reduced Inflammation. Less acne, tendinitis, etc.
- Decreased Body Fat. Fish oil helps burning fat.
- Less Soreness. Reduced soreness from strength training.
- Lowers Cholesterol. Prevents heart disease, cancer, depression.
Fish oil is easy. Caps or liquid form. I prefer liquid form with lemon flavor to avoid the fishy after-taste. Watch the EPA/DHA content. Some brands have low amounts of EPA/DHA. I use Pfo Pure Fish Oil. 1 tsp. contains:
- Fish Oil: 4360mg
- Omega-3 EPA: 715mg
- Omega-3 DHA: 470mg
Multivitamins. Eat a healthy varied diet to get your vitamins. Veggies and/or fruits with every meal. Meats, fish & eggs. Some benefits of multivitamins:
- Better Sleep. Zinc helps getting quality sleep.
- Less Illness. Vitamin C fortifies your immune system.
- Faster Recovery. Calcium & iron help recovery from strength training.
Some say high dosis of multivitamins & anti-oxidants cause cancer. Read these articles & draw your conclusions.
- High dosis of anti-oxidants can cause cancer. Study by JAMA.
- Multivitamin prostate warning. BBC News May 16th 2007.
- Do Anti-oxidants cause cancer or prevent it? From The Pump Handle.
- Nutritional crime of the Century. By TC on T-nation.
Creatine. I never used creatine. But many of you have or will in the future. Some say creatine doesn’t work. Other say it does. Mark Rippetoe writes in Practical Programming creatine works. I believe it works too. Benefits:
- Better Recovery between sets & workouts.
- More Strength & performance.
More Supplements? You can take the supplements you want, you’ll never get anywhere if you don’t train hard & eat right in the first place. Supplements are supplements to your training, nutrition & most of all attitude.
Experiment with supplements if you want to. But don’t forget the placebo effect.
